Thursday, September 6, 2007

Somewhere over the rainbow ...

Life continues to be full of challenges. Despite having come back from a dive trip at Bali over Merdeka holidays, I continue to feel a heavy burden in life. I am the sort of person who normally thoroughly enjoys holidays, new adventures, and living life to the fullest. But somehow, I must admit, life has been tough ... including my holiday in Bali.

For the first time in a long time, I actually didn't achieve what I set out to do. The Bali dive trip happened because I wanted to see the ocean sunfish Mola Mola. The fish, about 3-4 meters tall, are usually spotted at the Crystal Bay dive site. We braved the huge swells of ice cold waters (16 to 24 degrees celcius), strong currents with upward and downward drifts, and depths beyond 30 meters hoping for a glimpse of this rare fish that only comes around to Bali in August. Instead, the few memorable dive moments were the graceful manta rays gliding at the choppy surface, blue spotted rays and stingrays at sandy bottoms of the Manta Point dive site.

Sunset at Lembongan island, Bali

I left Bali, though happy to have met great people and eaten the best Balinese foods (Babi Guling & Bebek Dengil), with a tinge of disappointment ... of dreams unfulfilled! Now, I would have to go back to Bali, brave the huge swells and icy cold waters for another opportunity to meet with Mola Mola.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight, I had the privilege of enjoying the Latin Jazz music of dramatic conductor Jacomo Bairus and Latin grammy award winning flautist Nestor Torres at the Dewan Philharmonic Petronas at the Petronas Twin Towers. I fell in love with the rich Latin Jazz rhythms with differentiated renditions of Besame Mucho and Over the Rainbow. Music from the flute awakened my imagination and evoked emotions deep within.

The final Nestor Torres rendition of Over the Rainbow was breathtaking. As an introduction to the song, Torres talked about the significance of Malaysia due to the difficult times the nation has been through and how thr growth and maturity of the nation was dependent on the "stormy" decades and refreshing light rains. Coupled with the sun rays, Malaysia is today like a rainbow of hope to others.

I recognized the stormy season and burdensome journey I am undergoing, when everything seems to be doom and gloom. It is a time of growing pains. A time of new challenges. I was reminded of how absolutely necessary it is for me to cling on to God in whom I trust and embrace everything that he is doing, and allow him to carry me through this time so that I may one day see that rainbow of hope and acknowledge how great God is and how far he has brought me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wikipedia gives further insight into the classic Over the Rainbow, popularized by Judy Garland:
"Over the Rainbow" is a popular song with music by Harold Arlen and lyrics by E.Y. Harburg). It was written to showcase Judy Garland's talents in the star vehicle movie The Wizard of Oz, and it became her signature song. She would forever be called upon to sing it in all her public appearances.

The song's plaintive melody and simple lyrics depict a pre-adolescent girl's desire to escape from the "hopeless jumble" of this world, from the sadness of raindrops to the bright new world "over the rainbow." It expresses the childlike faith that a door will magically be opened to a place where "troubles melt like lemon-drops".



Many years have gone by since Judy Garland sang Over the Rainbow. The song continues to be a favorite that evokes a sense of hope that there is indeed something great at the end of a difficult journey.

Here's another voice as if angels were singing a song of hope to the downtrodden ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't believe it -- little Connie Talbot made me cry! And I am a guy who rarely ever does that...