Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Of friendship ...

In the midst of an extremely busy season of work, studies and extra-curricular activities, I chanced on two movies that seem to highlight areas that have been on my mind of late - that of true friendship and of love.

The first was The Kite Runner (view trailer).


Here's a synopsis that was taken directly out of the author Khaled Hosseini's site:

Taking us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the present, The Kite Runner is the unforgettable, beautifully told story of the friendship between two boys growing up in Kabul. Raised in the same household and sharing the same wet nurse, Amir and Hassan nonetheless grow up in different worlds: Amir is the son of a prominent and wealthy man, while Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant, is a Hazara, member of a shunned ethnic minority. Their intertwined lives, and their fates, reflect the eventual tragedy of the world around them. When the Soviets invade and Amir and his father flee the country for a new life in California, Amir thinks that he has escaped his past. And yet he cannot leave the memory of Hassan behind him.

The Kite Runner is a novel about friendship, betrayal, and the price of loyalty. It is about the bonds between fathers and sons, and the power of their lies. Written against a history that has not been told in fiction before, The Kite Runner describes the rich culture and beauty of a land in the process of being destroyed. But with the devastation, Khaled Hosseini also gives us hope: through the novel's faith in the power of reading and storytelling, and in the possibilities he shows for redemption.

The depth of true friendship
I loved the way friendship - true friendship - was depicted in the movie. There was a scene where the two young boys' friendship became very evident. They were as close as brothers ...

Here's a conversation the boys had while waiting to retrieve a kite:

Hassan popped a mulberry in his mouth. "It's coming," he said. I could hardly breathe and he didn't even sound tired.

"How do you know?" I said.

"I know."

"How can you know?"

He turned to me. A few sweat beads rolled from his bald scalp. "Would I ever lie to you, Amir agha?"

Suddenly I decided to toy with him a little. "I don't know. Would you?"

"I'd sooner eat dirt," he said with a look of indignation.

"Really? You'd do that?"

He threw me a puzzled look. "Do what?"

"Eat dirt if I told you to," I said. ...

His eyes searched my face for a long time. We sat there, two boys under a sour cherry tree, suddenly looking, really looking, at each other. ...

"If you asked, I would," he finally said, looking right at me. I dropped my eyes. To this day, I find it hard to gaze directly at people like Hassan, people who mean every word they say.

"But I wonder," he added. "Woudl you ever ask me to do such a thing, Amir agha?" And, just like that, he had thrown at me his own little test. If I was going to toy with him and challenge his loyalty, then he'd toy with me, test my integrity.

I wished I hadn't started the conversation. I forced a smile. "Don't be stupid, Hassan. You know I wouldn't."

Hassan returned the smile. Except he didn't look forced. "I know," he said. And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too.

And my favorite line from the movie ...
was in response to a friend, who was as close as a brother to him, little Hassan would promise when asked to retrieve a kite for his friend - For you a thousand times over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

absolutely LOVEDDDD this movie!! A personal best in 2007!! Depiction of true perseverance in a friendship. Sigh. Good stuff!

Unknown said...

Hey the movie was gr8- but you start the blog with a comment of two movies then discuss only one- oh the anticipation for the other!!!