Saturday, December 13, 2008

The turning point

Thanksgiving was a turning point. While still in Shanghai, we each took turns around the table to offer a prayer of thanks to God for the one or two things that we were thankful for in this past year as tradition dictates.

Having given thanks for my family, friends, new classmates and new adventures, I returned to my room that evening only to be greeted by the still small voice that whispered in my heart, "Would you still thank me if you didn't have all these people or the adventures in your life?"

My heart lept.

I had slipped slided away from the One who made all the difference in my life ... unknowingly in the midst of busyness, while continuing in the fellowship of the saints, and yet drifting further and further away with each assignment.

Oh God, I pray that my heart would be fully contented with you and you alone
That the very reason I should be thankful today and everyday of my life is because of you
It is not about the gifts, nor the adventures, nor the people (although I do thank you for everyone of them!)
But it is about you, and who you are.

You've given me life that I may live
Through the valleys, where tears are shed
I learn the most I grow up fast
And my character made strong
Through the peaks, where I marvel at your creation
And easily offer thanksgiving and open worship
Where the world is my oyster

But through it all, it is because of the life I now have in you
That I am able to see, through ups and downs
Your hand working in and through my life
It's all about you and because of you
I am thankful for you.

I look forward to the Christmas holidays, where I will be able to spend time re-kindling my friendship with God.

No comments: