Monday, February 15, 2010

The struggles within ... a critic

I was reminded of my role as a dance critic recently and how difficult it was for me to write a negative review of a ballet production that was directed and choreographed by those with whom I used to dance.

Interestingly, after I submitted my review, a character player in the ballet Carmen, also submitted a review with a different perspective -- an insider's review sprinkled with behind-the-scenes insights of the ballet so that audiences could better appreciate the "blood, sweat and tears" that were poured into making the evening of ballet possible.

*****

During this very hot Chinese New Year, I find myself lazing in front of the TV and my MacBook indulging in my favorite past time activity - running a movie marathon of all my favorites downloaded days on end since subscribing to a movie download service.

Ratatouille ranks among the top five on my list of favorite cartoons and animated films along with Howl's Moving Castle, Avatar, The Spiderwick Chronicles, and Kung Fu Panda.

I think these were all well-made and anyone watching them would find themselves immersed in a different world, even if only for a little while, to be allowed to consider and explore the new and unexpected.

More than that, they appeal to the human compassion that I hope resides in each one of us - defending the less fortunate in society and having the courage to embrace those who are different but in many ways, geniuses in their own rights.

Or perhaps, those who have been chosen for such a time as this ... as Mr Edward Magorium (played by actor Dustin Hoffman) said in Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium movie, "Your life is an occasion. Rise to it!"

*****

As I was saying about Ratatouille, THE food critic Anton Ego's words struck a nerve ...


In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read.

But the bitter truth that we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things ... the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something ... and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. 

The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. 

Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking, is a gross understatement -- they have rocked me to my core.

In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: "Everyone can cook". But I realize only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.

It is difficult to imagine more humble origins that those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest Chef in France. 

I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.

*****

For me, it was neither fun nor easy to critique a ballet produced by those whom I used to dance with and the few whom I respect as among the best ballet instructors in our nation. 

As Asia Dance Channel editor advised, while we are not in the business of destroying other's careers, we are obligated to tell the truth, as we see it.

What I have come to recognize are these two truths from Ego's words: 

... the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so ...

... Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere ...


So, don't take a critic's words too seriously but rise up to the occasion when the time comes around again.



As a lover of dance, I continue to hope that I will one day discover and defend the new - that which is worth risking one's life/career for ...  and witness that a great artist can indeed come from anywhere ... even from a place as unexpected as Malaysia!

No comments: