Thursday, September 2, 2010

Invictus

Malaysians can learn a thing or two from watching the movie Invictus, based on the book Playing the Enemy: Nelson Mandela and the Game that Changed a Nation. The movie inspires one to extend grace to those who have mistreated us, looking beyond one's self interest in order to embrace the greater purpose of the nation, and be one nation united regardless of race, creed or color.



A key part of the movie was this inspiring poem titled "Invictus" the Latin word for unconquerable or undefeated, which encouraged Nelson Mandela to "stand when all he wanted to do was lie down" during his time in prison.  


Invictus by William Earnest Henley 
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.



And one for the road ...


No comments: