Saturday, February 17, 2007

Coming to terms with age

While I beam when little children call me che che Michele, I must admit that it's been quite awhile since I first came into this world!

Recent experiences have brought me to this time - posting my very first blog entry as I spend time with my parents watching the Spring Festival on CCTV9, which I don't understand as it's in deep Beijing mandarin.

Anyways, this is a story that I believe is worth remembering.

Last Saturday, I went with my mom and her group of senior citizen friends to Sir Cliff Richard's concert at the Arena of Stars, Genting Highlands. I did not plan to go but at the last minute, Dad was not able to go because of a bad cough.

When we got there, I bumped into a colleague of mine, and I said, "Hey! What are you doing here?"

He said, "I am old you know." I responded in desperation, "But, I am young ... (and shouldn't be here)!" Embarrased.

The concert began with his first song "Summer Holiday." "Hey, I know this!" I thought.

After a few more songs, he sang "Bachelor Boy" and I thought, "I know this too!" When it came to the chorus, I sang along with the rest of the fans in the fully packed arena:

I'll be a bachelor boy, and that's the way to stay
I'll be a bachelor boy, until my dying day ...

At that point, I smiled as I felt God telling me that I was young, once upon a time. Now, I am young at heart! :-)

And when Sir Cliff sang "Faithful One" I felt the presence of God. I was in a safe place ... coming to terms with my age and knowing that even when one moves into a different phase in life (when young children ought to call you "auntie Michele"), it is possible to use your God-given talents with great passion and be fulfilled. Well, look at Sir Cliff ... still singing his heart out because that's what makes him happy. That's what makes him feel alive.

I must say, coming to terms with age is an odd experience. But recognizing ones age and being able to continue in the things that makes one happy and alive is truly an enriching experience. That's a gift of God that I definitely want to embrace.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice nice...i sure would like to see you "Cruising topless in a Mercedes-Benz SLK 280" haha. Nothing about diving?
A lifetime is but a pee in the ocean, a moment of pleasure then its gone. Haha. Kong Hee Fatt Choy. Am i the first to post comment...?/?. Fatcatscuba.com

The Forgetful One! said...

Hey Fatcat!

Will post something on diving as soon as my memory on that returns. The dive videos will tell all ... i must figure out how to post them and will title my next posting - "Diving Bloopers" perhaps.

Gong Xi Fa Cai to you too!

Anonymous said...

Notty notty, fatcat.

~Aqua

Anonymous said...

We see discounts at certain times of the year, would't it be nice to apply this with age, as and when needed.
and I am thankful we do not follow doggie years, imagine 7 times older, dreadful...........

The Forgetful One! said...

yeah, i would be clickety-clacking all the way, or definitely six feet under, if that were the case!

I like your name ... maybe I should put mine as MeeShell!!

Full Time Mom said...

Hi Mee-Shell!

Welcome to blogging! It's a lot of fun.

Look forward to reading more posts

:)

Foodies said...

Interesting blog. Couldn't agree more about coming term with age. Many times, the revelation would really give you goose-bump ... Never mind la, Hooray to Live-to-eat! Sense of awe for God's creation!