Monday, March 24, 2008

What a wonderful world

I've been feeling under the weather for almost a week now. Being the active person that I am, I've probably out done myself again - doing too many things and everything from climbing to knitting to working to making time to build friendships, and definitely not getting enough sleep.

Why am I rushing through life, seeking to do everything in the shortest time possible as if there's no tomorrow? ... Well, I guess the reality is there will come a day when there will be no tomorrow ... the question is when?

Since coming up with my resolutions for 2008, I am pleased with my progress with climbing. Having completed 10 private lessons with Mehdi from Camp5, the once impossible vertical routes or sometimes overhanging walls are now possible to climb with proper techniques. I still have a long way to go to build power and endurance, but I am glad I have basic techniques to better enjoy climbing and achieve greater heights.

The pursuit of furthering my education, though, seems delayed for the time being. As I wait for the check from the Employee's Provident Fund (EPF) to come through, I was thankfully comforted by an email titled:

The 'L I T T L E' things .

As you might know, the head of a company survived 9/11 because his son started kindergarten.

Another fellow was alive because it was his turn to bring donuts.

One woman was late because her alarm clock didn't go off in time.

One was late because of being stuck on the NJ Turnpike because of an auto accident.

One of them missed his bus.

One spilled food on her clothes and had to take time to change.

One's car wouldn't start.

One went back to answer the telephone.

One had a child that dawdled and didn't get ready as soon as he should have.

One couldn't get a taxi.

The one that struck me was the man who put on a new pair of shoes that morning, took the various means to get to work but before he got there, he developed a blister on his foot. He stopped at a drugstore to buy a Band-Aid. That is why he is alive today.

Now, when I am stuck in traffic,
miss an elevator,
turn back to answer a ringing telephone ...
or wait for weeks on end to hear from the EPF on a loan ... and finally receive a check in the mail only to find out that they got the currency and amount completely wrong (what in the world ...)
all the little things that annoy me.

And I think to myself, this is exactly where God wants me to be at this very moment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am midway through a nasty throat infection, cough and cold. The last two days, which happened to be Easter weekend was really tough going. I had in mind to go for Easter sunrise service this year before heading to the Sepang International Circuit to host colleagues and clients alike at the AT&T Williams Suite at the Paddock Club. (It was such fun at last year's Malaysian Grand Prix!)

I had to give it all up ... no Easter sunrise, no paddock club pass for the sickly poor me! Ended up catching the rather mundane Malaysian Grand Prix on telly. No skids. No out of control cars. And worse of all, no rain!

It's rather unbelievable for a country like tropical Malaysia to not experience rain in all but one of its 10 years of Malaysian Grand Prix races at the Sepang International Circuit.

Even the telly commentators said that it was remarkable that a country that experiences rain throughout the year with monsoon seasons and all remains dry every single year, without fail, when the Formula One race comes to town.

Our "Visit Malaysia" motto says it all - "Malaysia, truly Asia!" Where we are uniquely Malaysia. Where the all sorts of things can happen - just read the newspapers on the repercussions of the nation's political tsunami that took place on International Women's Day (8 March 2008). The seemingly impossible can become possible ... in wonderful Malaysia!

I digress ... back to the Malaysian Grand Prix. My favorite driver Lewis Hamilton of McLaren Mercedes didn't make a podium finish although he won the race a week before in Melbourne. Finnish Kimi Raikkonen from Ferrari Scuderia finished first, his second Malaysian Grand Prix win; the first being in 2003 when he was with McLaren Mercedes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I drove along aimlessly on the streets of Petaling Jaya today, just to get out of the house. Even my stuffed nose and watery eyes deserve a break from the four walls ;-)

I hear this play on Lite & Easy, and I couldn't help but sing along in my sexy, raspy voice ... oh, what a wonderful world ...



What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They're really saying I love you.

I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll never know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world.

...

If I look hard enough, I just may see

My country through God's eyes and sing

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Yes, I think to myself, you're wonderful Malaysia ...

*sigh*

No comments: