Friday, February 6, 2009

I hope chipmunks don't practice copyrights ...

Occasionally, I like to revisit some of my blog posts and listen to the music I had included from youtube.

To de-stress. To dream of a new world ... and believe that each day is a special gift from God, and that I am to make the most of my day(s), living life through His eyes.

Today, I revisit my post titled "Meet Joe Black ... well, HELL-O!" to listen to my all-time favorite song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole.

Guess what?

For the second time now, I click on the video and this message pops up "This video is no longer available due to copyright claim by WMG."

Drats! I must say, while I understand that artists need to earn a living from the royalties they collect for each album sold, I don't quite get it when it comes to an artist who has already passed on. Well, it is likely his family still reaps the royalties from IZ's albums but I am sure they also have day jobs to help them earn a living ... so why restrict the dissemination of IZ's music through youtube? After all, the song can be a blessing to many and it would be such a waste to only restrict it to those who have his CD "Facing Future."

By the way, I did go to the extent of getting a friend to bring this CD all the way back from Hawaii. That's how much I love this song! IZ has such a special gift. His songs, this one in particular, is "out of this world." His voice and music evokes such good feelings and beautiful pictures in my mind. It calms me and takes me to the wonderful world that we all dream of.

Well, I have had to search for another source of IZ's song and did manage to find one, but it's different without the video of IZ.

During my search, I found another version of this song and hope this one sung by fictional, non-human characters, won't have copyright issues ... hahaha, I doubt it because some human created created Alvin and the Chipmunks on the silver screens.

Wikipedia tells me that Alvin and the Chipmunk's "voices ... were all performed by Bagdasarian, who sped up the playback to create higher pitched, comical, squeaky voices."

We shall see!

No comments: