Sunday, March 4, 2007

Busy as a bee, experiencing miracles in life

Photo by Janelle

Life seems to have swooshed right past me this week. If life was at such a pace 24-7, I reckon I would be nearing or past a thousand years old by now. So many experiences, but so little time to capture everything meaningful.

I feel as if several weeks had past rather than just one week since the powerful message I received during Sunday church service. The key thought that I remember so well was about the supernatural becoming natural in the life of a believer, a follower of Christ.

Perhaps life this past week has been a miracle in itself - having accomplished so much in just a mere 7 days! From the hustle and bustle at work to spending time with former secondary school mates to playing with babies and toddlers to participating in "A Quiet Revolution of Hope." The latter is another story altogether, which I will not blog about at this time.

But the truly significant moment in my life this past week has been in the encouragement that came from remembering the powerful, awesome moments when I sensed the workings of the supernatural in my life. My faith was built up as a result of remembering God's miracles.

More than 10 years ago, while I was an undergraduate student in the United States, I shared with three others a small townhouse called College Station. It was Thanksgiving weekend and my housemates all went home. I didn't mind the quietness of the university town called Harrisonburg, as my best friend Kash was visiting.

We did the usual girl thing - we hung out together. We probably walked the quiet malls, ate at my favourite restaurants, and caught up on all the latest gossips and greatest happenings in our lives.

On the last day before Kash departed for home (Taylor's University, Indiana), we got back from what must have been a long day. Tired out, we dropped our bags in my small room. I went downstairs to the kichenette and attempted to cook dinner. Kash remained in the room to pack. Soon after, Kash decides to join me downstairs. She came out of the room and locked the door behind her without realizing that all my keys were in the room.

Locked out, we panicked. All imaginable McGyver methods of unlocking the door were attempted from the use of hair clips to safety pins to tugging at the doorknob. Nothing worked. I remembered calling up the locksmith and was told that it would cost USD60 and more to get the door unlock after 6 pm on a public holiday.

Refusing to spend the money, Kash and I resolved to the only thing we knew to do. We laid our hands on the doorknob and prayed for God to work a miracle in our situation. We said, "In Jesus name, door be opened!" and mumbled a whole lot of other charismatic-type prayers. Nothing happened.

That evening, dinner was a disaster. The curry was tasteless and the noodles were stringy. Few words were exchanged. Our minds raced with thoughts from how we were going to get into the room to how we could possibly sleep through the cold winter's night outside my room and finally to how Kash was going to catch her ride home the next day!

After dinner, Kash went upstairs to use the bathroom, while I washed up. Before long, I heard her calling me. I asked, "Why?" I think she said, "Just come up!"

When I got upstairs, Kash stood outside the bathroom gesturing towards my room. My gaze feel upon the door - opened! The hairs at the back of my neck stood, as Kash described the miracle ...

She had come out of the bathroom and was about to go downstairs when a still, small voice told her to approach the door. As soon as she reached for the doorknob, and before she could comprehend what was happening, the doorknob turned and the door was ajar.

Awe-struck and overwhelmed by the supernatural, I remembered sensing the presence of angels. We knelt down and worshipped God for lack of a more brilliant response.

More than a decade later, I am reminded once again of the power of the Holy Spirit at work through the lives of believers outside the church walls. When we walk by faith in God and obey his biddings in our lives, we move into a whole new realm - what felt like "heaven on earth" back then can still be experienced today.

Miracles are a manifestation of the Kingdom of God on earth. And what of our response? To turn away from the old mindset and embrace the new life that is waiting to be explored. Let thy kingdom come, let thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.

Many miracles have since been experienced. Kash and her newborn miracle were just here in Malaysia.

Kash, if by chance you are reading this, do leave a comment or two on what you remember and make of this supernatural incident in your life.

8 comments:

acolyte07 said...

Wonderful post. I too am aChristian, and you might be interested in reading my blog at

http://serverconfession.blogspot.com

Sivin Kit said...

I'd love to hear about your "another story altogether". I'm just so thankful for your church, your pastor and leadership for blessing us with the venue and lots of support :-)

I like this phrase:
"Miracles are a manifestation of the Kingdom of God on earth. And what of our response? To turn away from the old mindset and embrace the new life that is waiting to be explored. Let thy kingdom come, let thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven."

for me, I'm learning to "see" miracles in everyday life and ordinary circumstances. If miracles are "a sign to help us wonder" :-) then with the eyes of faith we can be open to be aware of more around us which are signs pointing to God.

Tracy Tan said...

thanks for sharing :) i am really glad to have "found" you and kash again after all these years! i know it is not by chance.

Anonymous said...

It's been a long time and I've forgotten a lot of the details but it was certainly a miracle. I do remember being prompted to try opening the door again after many failed attempts. I had barely touched the door knob when the door just amazingly opened with a slight creak. What a wonderful memory! Thanks for writing about it.

Andr3wChan said...

Hey Michelle,

That is a pretty awesome blog you wrote over there. God really worked wonders for you when you were there isn't it? ;)

I believe God will show Himself more real thru you as you serve Him. Knowing you as a friend from a busy company like ours and seeing how you have been a blessing in so many lives is already a miracle and blessing already =)

Becky said...

thanks for sharing! i'm really encouraged. it just reminds me about simple faith and trusting in God at all times. He's mindful of us even in the little things as we turn to Him. knowing this again makes my day...

The Forgetful One! said...

Hey, thank you all for the very encouraging remarks. You know, those "big" miracles can and still does happen. Some are rather sensitive and difficult to share in such a public forum. What I will tell you is I am continuously experiencing miracles - the supernatural intervention in life!

Here's to living a godly, adventurous, and miraculous life as we journey with GOD.

Anonymous said...

Michele, thanks for sharing your blog with me on facebook. I'm enjoying reading your thoughts and finding it spiritually refreshing. You are bringing back memories of the strong Christian fellowship at Regent that I miss a lot.
I enjoyed the pictures and thoughts on your trip to Bali. Some of the staff at the school in Korea go to Bali for vacation. I guess I'll have to check it out this year while I'm in Asia again.