Friday, March 9, 2007

A Quiet Revolution of Hope

Photo by Janelle

"The way of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn,
which shines ever brigther until the full light of day" (Proverbs 4:18).


I began this blog with this description of myself - one "who embraces God's gift of life -to eat, drink and make the most of my job and whatever else wonderful that comes my way." While this attitude towards life remains true, dialogues at "Friends in Conversation: A Quiet Revolution of Hope" recently made me think about greater issues than myself.

I've not had so much "food for thought" in awhile. What caught my attention, quite dramatically, was the small group discussion in which I participated late Saturday afternoon. The day sessions comprised plenary and panel discussions on the topics of "Gospel" and "Church." It would, at that point, have been easier to go into small groups that were discussing the Gospel or the Church.

The one I ended being part of was to discuss the "World." Now, why did I sign up for this? I don't remember why actually, except that I must have thought it was a session that would tell me what God was doing on a large scale and around the world. As a Christian, I believe it is good to be in touch with "the waves" that God's creating around the world. Knowledge helps shape our thoughts, attitudes, behaviors and actions.

I was reminded of God's job description for man in the book of Genesis (1:25-28). God spoke:

Let us make human beings in our image, make them reflecting our nature so they can be responsible for the fish in the sea, the birds in the air, the cattle, and yes, Earth itself, and every animal that moves on the face of Earth. God created human beings, he created them godlike, reflecting God's nature. He created them male and female. God blessed them: Prosper! Reproduce! Fill Earth! Take Charge! Be responsible for the fish in the sea and birds in the air, for every living thing that moves on the face of the earth.

These verses are not new to me. I have read them many times over and agree with it. But the realization of what it really means and what my response should be only "hit home" during the discussion on "World."

Deliberating about the "World" means we, as believers of God, not only need to know what God says about our roles and responsibilities as human beings inhabiting the earth, it also demands a response - whether we will obey and be good stewards of what he has entrusted us with or disobey and be part of the human race that knowingly exploits the resources of this earth and expedite the destruction of our environment.

Remember the tsunami in 2004, the earthquakes in Yogyakarta, the floods in Johor, and more ... somehow I don't remember having heard so much about natural disasters within our nation and region until recent years.

I don't profess to know everything about the environment and how to live responsibly. What I do know is that since the launch of the Climate Crisis campaign and the release of the documentary "Inconvenient Truth," our ability to live is what is at stake because we have consumed more than we should and have not taken measures to replenish the earth.

Somehow, I cannot help but wonder if we have been faithful to the original mandate that God gave to humankind, and that is to be fruitful and multiply. To fill the earth and govern it. To reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the air, and the animals that scurry along the ground.

I am compelled to take my little steps toward contributing to a bigger picture of stewarding the resources - the earth and all that is in it - that God has given us to dominate and rule responsibly.

This issue seems overwhelming and beyond what I can do on my own. But I could start by paying more attention to the materials presented on this case, i.e., go see the documentary titled "Inconvenient Truth" when it hits our cinemas mid-March. I could balance my diving trips with those that seek to clean and preserve the beauty in the marine world. I could learn to eat less fish, beef or chicken ... oh, but I do LOVE fish ... and I LOVE the occasional steak or the chicken rice from the coffee shop just down the road from my house ... now, I know why it's called an "Inconvenient Truth."

"The ways of right-living people glow with light; the longer they live, the brighter they shine." There is yet hope for those who pick up the courage to take the first step!

No comments: