Sunday, April 29, 2007

Cruisin' on Virgo

My mentor once said, "No rest for the wicked!"

After what seemed like endless months of very hard work, I was beginning to wonder if I was really wicked at the core since I didn't seem to get the rest that I needed.

Thankfully, the answer to that random thought came quickly. Soon, I was having my share of holidays ... and my first-ever cruise adventure!

This past weekend, I went on a 3 day, 2 night getaway with mom on Star Cruise's Virgo that sailed out of Singapore to Pulau Redang - Star Cruise's inaugural journey to the island.

Where we spent most of our time, except for the outing to Pulau Redang.

I had planned to eat, sleep and read while I was on this free cruise with Mom. There was absolutely no pressure to get the best of the cruise since Mom had won these tickets from a lucky draw in her last trip on another ship - Star Gemini.

Our cabin was on the 5th level, above sea level. So I would wake up and see blue skies and the ocean each morning.

Beds were cozy with colorful bed covers. Bathrooms squeaky clean and room temperature perfect for falling asleep whenever you get to the cabin!

While many go on such cruises to gamble, mom and I had a different agenda. We went for the international foods at the fine dining area called Bella Vista, what seemed like a huge ballroom with large windows overlooking the sea.

Apart from the evening entertainment such as the magician from Prague, latin dancing by a group of South Americans, and kung fu shows by Shaolin masters from China, we particularly enjoyed the line dancing program by crew member, Joseph from India. He was a lot of fun. Mom thoroughly enjoyed dancing, while I laughed my way through while taking photos and videos!

Check out this video of mom doing the "shimmy" (shaking of the shoulders) to the song "Achy Breaky Heart" ... I'm proud to say that my mom was one of the best dancers on the floor!!!


Despite wanting to sleep most of the time, the many distractions onboard Virgo did keep Mom and me occupied most of our waking hours. I have come to the conclusion that the cruise is a must-do-once-in-a-lifetime adventure. I would go again in a heartbeat!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time of bonding with your mom.

The Forgetful One! said...

Yes, it was 24-7 with Mom. Made up for all the months and years where I was there "but not quite there" if you know what I mean. It was good!

Next time you and Reuben come to this part of the world, you should go on a cruise. :-)

Tracy Tan said...

i wouldn't mind going on a cruise with you and kash :)