Sunday, November 4, 2007

Climbing ROCKS!

Bouldering
Source: Camp5

In the moments of seeming nothingness, I have developed an insatiable appetite to conquer new heights of sorts. Another sport that seems to have captured my attention is indoor climbing. Not only is this a new experience for me, but it also allows me to literally scale new heights.

There were a few reasons for my visiting Camp5 recently:

1. Mar-xha told me about it last year and I said I would go ... unfortunately, it took me so long to step foot in Asia's largest indoor climbing venue

... but in the quest of being authentic and practising integrity, one ultimately does need to do what they said they would do!

2. Scuba diving is not a sport that I can do every week! Knowingly suffering deprivation of the sport you enjoy most just cannot be tolerated. There's nothing heroic about abstaining from activities that help one de-stress unless if does harm to oneself or others.

3. Richard recently embarked on rock climbing to develop a new skill while staying fit ... he told Ling Ling about it; I tagged along for a trial session.

Before I knew it, my friend and I were scheduled to take our Basic Wall Course (BWC) two weeks later. We arrived about 20 minutes before the class was to begin. We inquired about gym membership and was pleasantly surprised that there was a promotion provided us with free BWC, a RM100 Proshop voucher for equipment purchase, and a one-year membership ... all for RM998. The promotion would help us save from paying the extra RM100 for the BWC. And as all typical modern Malaysian would, we went for the "freebie" in the promotion.

No regrets though ...

I signed up because I really need to keep active. One of the things I realize was that work these days can be extremely all-consuming and if one didn't find other outlets for releasing pent-up stress or physical energy, one just might start having undesirable physical symptoms from lethargy to moodiness to unwanted lumps and bumps!

Well, it was early for a Saturday morning to be going a four-hour course. Instructor Jeremy spent the first two hours giving us some background about rock climbing, the equipment. Soon enough we were putting on the harnesses, tying figure eight knots on dynamic ropes and learning to belay.

The second part of the course involved the practical sessions of actual climbing with your partner belaying or vice versa (left - climbing & belaying. Source: Camp5). I am thankful Richard invited me the first time, as I was a little less fearful of climbing almost vertical walls spanning 8 meters in height.

There was also the experience of bouldering - climbing a boulder without any ropes whatsoever. Well, I had taken quite a fall the first time I was at Camp5 so it was not as intimidating this time round and surprisingly, I didn't fall!

With all learning experiences, I found this one rather lighthearted ... I was nearly reaching the top of the eight-meter wall. I decided that it was time to descend, so I called out to the petite belayer Ling Ling, "Tighten ... (rope)". And within seconds she calls back, "Tight."

In order to get back down to the bottom, a climber needs to completely trust his/her belayer and the ropes by letting go off the wall and leaning back with legs stretched perpendicularly against the wall. When I did that, Ling Ling apparently lurged slightly forward ... surprised by the weight that the rope had to take!

I couldn't help but laugh when she later relayed the incident to me ... and as I read a facebook note that Richard had written about settling down in Melbourne, he mentions a book that he was reading - The Best Life ... and that having the best life meant eating healthily but not being obsessed with the scales.



Needless to say, I was reminded of my indoor climbing incident and the fact that I must have been having the best life ever and not weighed myself in ages ... enough to cause my buddy belayer to almost get smacked on the wall like in this cartoon!

I can't wait to go back and continue on this journey of discovery ... and eventually do rock climbing at an outdoor venue.

4 comments:

Tracy Tan said...

it is really fun and amazing to watch the more experienced climber twist, turn and maneuver their bodies to get past some difficult spots.

david and i went a few times before we had leave for china. a few of my friends are regulars there :)

enjoy yourself!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm Lovely post!!Thx buddy for sharing.
www.lifeinfozone.com/category/recreation/rock-climbing/

The Forgetful One! said...

thanks. i really am enjoying it with every new climb. i find it challenging and offers some form of stress relief!

i also bought my harness ... i must admit, shopping has graduated from scuba diving gear to rock climbing equipment ... the hunt's on ... one piece at a time ... as i travel to different countries looking for the best value for money :-D

Anonymous said...

Keep up the adventures, Michele!