Sunday, February 10, 2008

My spirit is willing ...

After what seemed like a good start to the new year and only a month and a half into private climbing classes, progress is certain. However, of late, climbing seems to be an uphill task all the way ... with no buddy to take turns climbing, I have had to keep at it for most of the hour and boy, it sure has been exhausting and stressful for me.

Yes, the last class was a case in point ... I "dropped like flies" off the walls at Camp5. I don't know which is more bruised - my ego or my butt!

Regular occurences of sleepless nights or interrupted sleep for the third week and counting have not helped my climbing in any way either. Instead, I have found knitting to provide relief from my otherwise restless state of mind.

My spirit is ever willing to climb higher and push harder to get to the next level, but my flesh is weak. Isn't that the case, when one sets his/her sights on a prize/goal and begins the journey to attain it, that often times, when the going gets tough, the tough doesn't get going.

In my case, when the going gets tough, I go shopping! Only God and a few others know how many pairs of sweat pants and tops I have since purchased ... :-D

I think this is especially true for Christians who start off on a journey zealous and certain of the vision. When difficult times come, we give up all too easily and say that perhaps, it was not from God after all.

Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way. [James 1:2-4, The Message]

I don't suppose shopping can be considered character building, but it certainly provides a resting place for many before the imminent return to the battlefield.

No comments: