Saturday, June 21, 2008

Mrs. Ruth Sala of Cote d'Ivoire, West Africa

I was tickled when I received an email from a dear friend detailing a sarcastic response to a spam email. Spam mails usually don't get past the "opened and read" stage, and I was amused that my friend actually took time to respond to a suspicious person by the name of Mrs. Ruth Sala.

My accomplished friend, who is usually filled with all manner of grace, social etiquette, and great wisdom that can only come from above, finally succumbed to exhibiting annoyance and used the mighty power of the pen to reply Mrs. Ruth Sala.

Before, we get to my friend's response, it is best to read Mrs Ruth Sala's "solicitous" mail first ....

-----Original Message-----From: Mrs. Ruth [mailto:mrs.ruthsala2@elefant.nu] Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 8:04 AMTo: mrs.ruthsala2@elefant.nuSubject: Saint Raphel's Hospital

Saint Raphel's Hospital
Agboville Abobo.
Abidjan . Cote d'ivoire
West Africa

My dearest One,

After a deep consideration that I am writing this letter to you. I am Mrs. Ruth Sala Mudu a nationality of Cote d'Ivoire and wife of the deceased Mr. Sala Mudu.
My Late husband, who was a contractor with the government of Cote d'Ivoire before he died during the heat of political crisis here in my country.

While he was alive, he made a security deposit of $10,500 million in a Security Insurrance Bank in Cote d'Ivoire for foriegn business engagement.
This moment, the money is still in this Security Insurance Bank here in Cote d'Ivoire . My Doctor told me that it is very likely that I will die of cancer of the blood (LUCKEMIA) in 3 Months.

Because of the war and unstable political situation in my country, I want you to help me transfer this money to your country and to take care of my son Godson and his education.

please reply with my yahoo mail box (mrs.ruthsala0@yahoo.fr)
I await your message for more explanation.
Thank you,
Mrs. Ruth Sala.



And my friend's response ...

My dear fictitious Mrs Ruth,

If indeed you are dying of LUCKEMIA, that is really bad luck, pardon the bad pun!

Sadly the world is full of crooked contractors, and we are not without them in my dear old country of Malaysia either. However, to have purportedly stashed away $10.5 billion in one of Africa ’s most dirt-poor countries takes quite some effort. He must really have screwed the country dry! May the good Lord have mercy on his soul, and I sincerely hope he managed to repent before he passed away to meet his Maker.

As for you, what can I say? Having a billionaire for a husband, who hasn’t left you a dime, and you have to trawl around the internet looking for some poor dumb schmuck to rob, no doubt by depositing ‘fees’ to start a bank account to transfer these fantasy funds to. Have you considered getting an honest day’s work and not prey on gullible but greedy people that use the internet? Maybe by turning over a new leaf the same fate that met with your ‘husband’ won’t be visited upon you.

And good luck with the LUCKEMIA, by the way.

Your dearest One,
Nottodaythankyou


I didn't share in my dear friend's anguish at having received such a ludicrous email first thing in the morning. Rather, I burst out laughing so hard that I cried.

It was a great way to end the day really - after some good exercise from climbing, a healthy dose of laughter, and then to slumber.

I hope you enjoyed the laugther, too!

And here's a parting quote ...

Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy.
- Aristotle

1 comment:

Full Time Mom said...

Hi Michelle

Everytime I get one of those spam e-mails, I am tempted to reply and say something like, "Because my funds are currently frozen (and in a Swiss bank account), in order for me to send you US$XX,000, I will require an initial deposit of US$X,000. I will contact you after that."

Would be interesting, eh? :)