Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Soliloquy continues ...

I'm on to my third weekend of nasty coughs and disrupted sleep patterns ... and the soliloquy continues.

In my down-and-out state more than two weeks ago, I remembered feeling disoriented and having the sensation of being flushed out of a tunnel or pipe and into the deep blue. The sudden expanse made it difficult for me to focus, thus the need to slow down, recollect and refocus on life's direction and once again, find peace in my sense of being.

The search has continued. Some in church call this returning to one's first love. I see it as taking time to rest ... to be still and know that God is Lord! I am beginning to accept and relate to this vastness of depth, width, height, and length all around me as the sense of being surrounded by God's love, His presence!

Nature - the creation of God - is vast! Majestic! Full of splendor! Awesome! Larger than life itself! Glorious and yet fearful!

If I were climbing a volvanic mountain and it errupted ...
If I were diving in deep blue and the storms came ...
If I were traveling to work and the roads split open ...
... what would my thoughts, words or deed be?
Would I know that He is God?
Would I call out to Him to save me?
Would I be able to hear His voice?
Would I know to do what He tells me to do?
Would I find peace in my soul knowing that my life is in His hands?

Suddenly, I am drawn to this passage ... it was as if God knew exactly what was on my mind ... and the words came ...

God is our refuge and strength,
always ready to help in times of trouble.
So we will not fear when earthquakes come
and the mountains crumble into the sea
Let the oceans roar and foam,
Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!

A river brings joy to the city of God
the sacred home of the Most High.
God dwells in that city, it cannot be destroyed.
From the very break of day, God will protect it.
The nations are in chaos, and their kingdoms crumble!
God's voice thunders, and the earth melts!
The Lord of Heaven's Armies is here among us
the God of Israel is our fortress.

Come see the glorious works of the Lord
See how he brings destruction upon the world
He causes wars to end throughout the earth
He breaks the bow and snaps the spear
he burns the shields with fire.

Be still and know that I am God!
I will be honored by every nation
I will be honored throughout the world.

The Lord of Heaven's Armies is here among us
the God of Israel is our fortress.
[Psalm 46]

Where God's rule and reign is, there's the kingdom of God. Incidentally, I am led to believe that that is where people who know God will be able to be still and know that He is God even in the midst of physical disasters! They will be able to find peace in the midst of chaos.

And it is no surprise that "Still" by Reuben Morgan of Hillsongs brings me great comfort ... and perhaps, these would be my words in the midst of calamities ...

Hide me now, under your wings
Cover me within your mighty hand

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father you are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are God

Find rest my soul in Christ alone
Know his power in quietness and trust

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father you are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are God


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you're still not well. Take time to enjoy your "forced" rest.

Anonymous said...

MICH..

I love it when you blog. Sorry your cough is still lingering, but hey, you're getting so much out of your rest, it appears a good trade.

We missed u at cell on Thurs. =)

Anonymous said...

though you have or had a nasty cough... God used it to inspire some thoughts that you have posted here that I needed to read for this time of my life - thank you, Michele, for writing them. - Ps 46 :)

Full Time Mom said...

Feel better soon!

The Forgetful One! said...

Life is creeping back into me. I feel well again. Thank you all for thinking of me. It's been quite a roller coaster ride ... the toughest illness I have been through in a while but it has been a good "forced" rest!